Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wow: I Cried (Twice)

I realize that on hundreds of blogs, newspapers and magazines there will be numerous personal reflections on what the election of Barack Obama means to individual citizens. In that light, this post isn’t so much for the readers of this blog but for my own benefit. It's so that I may capture my thoughts and feelings at this precise historic moment before they become distant memories of the past.

A few thoughts and recollections...

Like many people, my first exposure to Obama was his keynote speech during the 2004 Democratic Convention. At that point, I knew within my heart and within my head that this was a man to watch because it was just a matter of time before he ran for President.

I didn’t anticipate that it would happen so soon but once he threw his hat into the race I was a staunch supporter.

During the primary season I quickly developed a hunger for all things political and began to voraciously read blog after blog after blog devoted to analysis of the primary race and the polling reports. I had numerous conversation with very close friends (some of whom were supporters of Clinton) that Obama could and would beat Clinton. Most thought I was a tad out in left field but I stuck to my instincts. My vindication came in February when Obama went on a romp and won primary after primary after primary. My spirits soared with the expectation that we would soon have our first African-American Democratic nominee for President. My spirits soured as Clinton hung on to a pipe dream, refused to concede, and turned the remaining primaries into an exercise in mudslinging.

Finally, the day in June arrived when Clinton conceded and Obama was then just weeks away from accepting the nomination at the Democratic convention. It was a memorable day.

Obama’s acceptance speech at the convention, just as his speech after the Iowa primary and his speech during the midst of the Wright controversy was truly inspiring. It instilled in me a sense of faith and trust in the government that I have never felt before. Finally, the end was in sight and I couldn’t wait for the next few months to pass. I was fired up and ready to go so I pitched in the best way I could by donating more money, raising funds via my blog, buying stuff off Obama’s website, spreading the word as much as I could, and even baking cookies with my wife and niece for an Obama bake sale.

What followed was a gneral election campaign that was a study in inclusiveness...black, white, yellow, brown, gay, straight, old, young…people from every walk of life came together to support this man with “the funny last name”. It was beautiful and magical.

Then the campaign turned dirty from McCain’s desperate, cynical and devisive tactics. It was dreadful and depressing to watch the worse in some Americans on display. Yet it was a reminder that although this country has come a very long way there are still pockets of racism, xenophobia and intolerance that have yet to be extinguished.

Finally today arrived, I patiently stood in the voting line for two hours. When it was my turn I savored the historical moment then proudly cast my vote for Obama. I left the polls and drove to work, passing by the White House with hopes that that building will soon be the new home of Barack, Michelle and their daughters.

It’s cliché to say I never thought I’d see this day, but it’s true. My mother and father both lived through and were victims of segregation. I wish my father were alive to see this day because I know he would love it as much as I do. Fortunately my mother is here. As I write this I sit in a hospital room with her as she recovers from surgery and other related illnesses (I’m not leaving her side until Obama wins). Since she was unable to vote, I symbolically cast half of my vote for my mother and half for me. In reality, the vote was not cast for either of us. It was cast for my nieces and nephews, for those who have yet to be born, for the environment, for global peace, for the future of our country and ultimately the future of the world.

The moment came when the networks called the election for Obama.

I cried.

Obama gave his acceptance speech.

I cried, again.

Regardless of how successful Obama’s term is, this day November 4th, 2008 is an extraordinary turning point in history.

I am proud to have witnessed and contributed to this history.

I am proud to be a citizen of the United States.

I am proud of President-elect Barack Obama.

Change has come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried too. At first from fear. The early VA returns didn't look good. But then from joy (PA goes our way) and again (OH) and again when Obama spoke. This is truly a life changing event. And like the author I only wish that my father was here to see it happen.

Anonymous said...

I cried from joy last night too and this morning I'm excited, proud, and above all deeply grateful for you and everyone else who worked to make this event happen and move our country forward in a big way. THANK YOU!

LinkWithin

Related Posts