Monday, November 2, 2009

Road Trip

Yesterday, we decided to get out and about and see the area outside of Chicago.

First things first...you know what they say about mid-westerners being all friendly and nice?

Well, it's so true. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there but the folks we ran across were some of the nicest strangers I've ever encountered. East and west coast folks can learn a lesson or two from these people.

Now, back to the road trip. We started off in Chicago's Chinatown with delicious dim sum, then headed to Oak Park for a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's house . I've been a fan of his ever since I figured out what architecture is, my wife studied architecture, and she and I got "officially" married in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed building, the Marin Civic Center , so touring his house must have been some kind of cosmic destiny. We then drove by several other houses in the area that Wright designed and stopped in Unity Temple which is one of his more famous structures. We hit the road again, made a pit stop at Lowes for a bathroom remodel we're doing, then drove up to Madison, state capital of Wisconsin, home of the University of Wisconsin, and the only place I've been where you can get fried cheese curds and a beer with an egg in it .

The beer was good and the wurst wasn't the worst (actually it was very good) but I think I'll take a pass on beer battered cheese curds the next time.


All things considered, Madison is a nice town and a great way to cap off an enjoyable fall day .

1 comment:

TLM said...

Check out Garrett's popcorn while you're in the Windy City. On Michigan Ave. There's also one at the airport...so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts