Saturday, August 28, 2010

Delicious Sweden

Thanks to incredibly wonderful hosts, we ate and drank more delicious goodness while in Sweden than I can remember, including homemade saft (my next adventure), smoked reindeer, and the best pork belly I've ever eaten.

Looking back on the 11-day smörgåsbord three relatively simple and particularly Swedish dishes stand out from the multitude of tasty meals, snacks, and drinks:

Smoked Trout


Wow, was this delicious! It was a revelation. This one dish convinced me that we need a smoker. It also finally got me over my years long reluctance to eat a fish eye...it's not bad at all.

Crayfish

Crayfish (crawfish) are huge in Sweden. A Kräftskiva, or crayfish party, is a Swedish tradition that takes place during August and includes eating lots of crayfish, drinking lots of snaps, singing, and all kinds of crayfish related decorations. We didn't attend a Kräftskiva but had crayfish at Svenska Krogen, an excellent restaurant in Borås. Growing up in the Mid-Atlantic area, which is solidly crab country, I hadn't eaten many crayfish but they are some tasty little critters that I won't ever take a pass on again.

Smoked Shrimp

Smokey, salty, and shrimp roe too...amazingly delicious. Now my quest is to replicate this dish. It may take awhile but I'll figure it out one way or another.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts