Sunday, January 16, 2011

What's in a Name


Sound advice.

From Unclutter...
I grew up in a small-ish Midwestern town where everyone already knew everybody else’s name. When I moved to a major city, I missed knowing my neighbors and the people where I went. So, a decade ago, I started making it a point to know people’s names. I know the names of the checkout clerks, butchers, and the wine and cheese buyers at the grocery store; I know the names of my regular UPS man, mail carrier, and FedEx lady. I know the names of bus drivers, cab drivers, and the women who work at the dry cleaner’s. And, for the most part, these people know my name, too.

Although learning people’s names takes a little bit of time, I’ve found that the act has incredible uncluttering benefits overall...The mail and package delivery folks always wait for me to answer the bell, instead of slapping a sticker on the door and driving away...Bus drivers have waited for me as I’ve hurried down the street. Simply stated, my life runs more smoothly because I’ve taken the time to learn someone’s name and taken a sincere interest in what they do.

I’m not suggesting you learn someone’s name for the singular purpose of getting better service. Rather, I’m suggesting that meeting the people — all the people — who are a regular part of your life can be beneficial in many ways.

Even if you have ignored someone you encounter regularly in your life, it’s never too late to extend your arm, shake a hand, apologize for never learning his or her name before, and properly introduce yourself. In my experience, you’ll immediately feel more connected to your corner of the world.

It certainly helped me yesterday. I went into my favorite liquor store and to my chagrin found that Vinny, the guy I've come to rely on for excellent wine recommendations, wasn't working. Without missing a beat, his brother, who also works in the store, called Vinny (who was recovering from a late night out), handed me the phone, and we proceeded with our usual banter about dinner and wine suggestions. It was great service but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gotten to know Vinny's name.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts