Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Oreo Art




In honor of the 100th anniversary of the Oreo cookie (today).

I was reprimanded the other day for saying "some people clearly have too much time on their hands" in relation to the art pictured above. I did a 180 (thx MMN) after discussing the judgement in my statement and reading Judith Klausner's description of her work.

From Judith Klausner...
My latest series (now in progress) uses Victorian handicraft processes to transform modern packaged foods, exploring how the intertwined histories of gender and craft have shaped one another and our everyday lives. I hope to change the way people see the small and often disregarded ephemera of life, and question what defines these things as ephemeral at all. What becomes mythologized, and what is discarded as mundane? Can the same set of skills that were once obligatory and unremarkable become valued craft simply based on a shift in cultural perspective? 
In exploring these questions, my work brings to light the beauty (and sometimes humor) in subjects and materials often dismissed or taken for granted. 
I revel in minutiae. I hope to share the joy this brings me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts