Friday, April 20, 2012

Bye Bye Birdie


Unfortunately, I was in Chicago when the Space Shuttle Discovery made a spectacular appearance over Washington, DC.  Before heading into a well deserved retirement at the National Air and Space Museum it flew directly over our house.  Fortunately my wife had perfect timing and just happened to catch it as it soared over our back yard.  

Our email exchange immediately after the sighting...
Her: I just saw the shuttle fly by! Super low and directly overhead! Amazing. 
Me: Wow! Did you get any pictures? How did you know it was coming? Where were you? Jealous but happy u saw it. 
Her: I had heard about it on the radio earlier and was hoping to see it but just went about my day. Before heading out for my appt I decided to water the plants out back and as soon as I opened the back door, wow! It flew directly above the house, headed WNW. Wish I had my phone...it was in the kitchen but I didn't want to miss any of it. Way cool I wish you had seen it too.
Of the hundreds flyover images I saw, my favorite is the one above from the Washington Post. More photos, here and here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts