Sunday, October 14, 2012

Empathy and Understanding


"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird

From ABC News...
But about four years ago, when a lesbian he knew from karaoke night confided to him that her parents had disowned her when she came out, Kurek felt that he failed her.

"I feel God really kicked me in the gut," he said. "She was crying in my arms and instead of being there for her, I was thinking about all the arguments to convert her."

Kurek's reaction ate away at him, and he wondered what it felt like to be gay and so alone. So even though Kurek identifies as straight, he embarked on what one religious writer called "spiritual espionage." He would live like a gay man for a year.

"It finally clicked," he said. "I needed to empathize and understand."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts