Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Latest Flavors




This past Sunday marked a milestone birthday for my favorite cuz, actually she's more like a sister since we grew up together. At this point in our semi-lengthy lives I had trouble thinking of a gift for her that she didn't already have or couldn't easily get herself.

Eventually, an answer popped into my head...lots of homemade ice creams.

First up was a batch of Dark Chocolate with Spiced Rum Soaked Cherries.  For the base I used David Lebovitz's recipe for Chocolate ice cream. I then chopped up a cup of dried cherries and let them soak in spiced rum for several hours.  The cherries get added after the churn and the flavored cherry rum, well that get consumed quickly.

The second batch was Toasted Coconut with Candied Ginger. For this one I also used a David Lebovitz's recipe for Toasted Coconut ice cream but I substituted 8 oz of milk with 8 oz of coconut milk.  I chopped about 1/3 cup of candied ginger and added that as well as about 1/3 cup of toasted coconut after the churn.

And lastly for my ice creamy gift I included a pint of Coffee (Kopi Luwak) with Toasted Almonds from my freezer stash.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts